Sunday, March 6, 2011

A time to vent.

I HATE WEEK 10.  Who is with me?  This week is going to kick my butt, literally kick my butt.  But I know I'm not alone.  I think there is a certain mutual sympathy between each and every North Central College student, as we are the only ones who truly understand the frustration and sleep deprivation that accompany 10-week terms.  Our friends outside of NCC, who have the standard 16-week semesters that call us and whine about how buys they are… STOP.  You're not busy.  You have 16 weeks.  Why in the world would you be busy in a 16 week semester?  I understand, because I used to be one of them.  I transferred into this chaos.  But now that this chaos is truly my reality, I no longer pity my 16-week semester friends. 

I HATE GROUP PROJECTS.  My BUS 460 business team did our final presentation last Wednesday.  With jumbo classes, when you only meet once a week… it is really difficult to do a group project due to the fact that we never see each other. This left us with having to schedule times outside of class to meet, which is fine, as long as everyone shows up.  WE, however, did not have one single meeting where everyone showed up. On top of this, during our presentation (which was business professional attire, by the way), one of OUR members showed up with jeans and a disney world sweatshirt on! Oh boy…

Thats all for now :-)
If anyone else needs to vent, please feel free to comment back to me!
Good luck this week!  Here is a little something to make you laugh.

3 comments:

  1. Oh man, I totally agree with you as far as group projects go. Like you said, it's nearly impossible to get everyone to agree to meet at once, especially given that so many students (myself included) are commuters. Also, it's almost inevitable that in any group of three or more people, at least one person won't be doing any real work. I'm kind of dreading having to take a capstone class next year given my past experiences with group assignments at NCC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an instructor, I can see the point of group projects but I certainly don't think they should count for a substantial portion of any student's final grade. I was never asked ONCE in my entire undergrad career to do a graded group project (although I did a couple times have to do participate in a collective presentation that was ungraded).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arrggh. I shall vent in reply to your venting, Katlyn. Today I had my first ever group project. There were three of us, assigned randomly to work together and give a 30 minute presentation. Group member #1 spoke for 19 minutes! Group member #2 spoke for 9. I was #3. (no, I am not #4.) This left me two minutes, and though I skipped four of my slides I still ran over by two minutes. I can now say from first hand experience, group projects are AWFUL!!! I can accept getting a bad grade if I screw up, but this made me feel very frustrated and helpless (and it did count, for 100 points!)

    ReplyDelete