Sunday, February 27, 2011

Blog Prompt #4

I found the article about the Music Industry to be fairly interesting.  Stephen Dubner made a few points that I really agreed with.  He mentioned that, "new technology (digital music) may have accidentally forced record labels to abandon the status quo (releasing albums) and return to the pass (selling singles) and states that he sometimes thinks that the biggest mistake the record industry ever made was abandoning the pop single in the first place."  I couldn't agree more!  One of the reasons I download songs from iTunes is because more often than not, I don't like all of the songs on the CD.  And come on now… what is more annoying than putting in a CD driving down the road to listen to 2 songs and then change the CD out for another one 6 minutes later.  The process is exhausting, right y'all??

Koleman Strumpf's response just kind of got on my nerves.  I didn't agree with a whole lot of what he was saying.  He was long and wordy and said a bunch of nothing in my opinion, so I merely skimmed his article.  Blah Blah Blah…

OH! But Fredric Dannen!  I liked what he had to say.  "Consumers of recorded music will always embrace the format that provides the greatest convenience."  TRUE!  Why do I want to get in my car, drive through town in traffic that makes me crazy to find a store that I have to find a parking spot at and then most likely wait in line to buy the stupid thing??  I can buy all the music I want on my COUCH, crazy!! Thaaaaaank yoooooou iTunes!  Forget that!

For your viewing pleasure, I have included a comical image of an iPod in a fighting ring with a CD.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you and Dubner, Katlyn, the MP3 is reviving the single and that is a good thing. I have a fondness for certain albums -- The Clash's London Calling, for instance, or Lou Reed's Berlin-- but even with those albums there are a few songs I could do without.

    ReplyDelete